Health Benefits of Dry Body Brushing
Dry skin brushing, practiced for hundreds of years in Japan and Greece, is now catching on in many of the high-end spas as a way to decrease cellulite and improve skin appearance. Dry body brushing is mostly known to be effective in getting rid of dead skin cells, increasing circulation and helping the lymphatic system work better (removing toxins from the body) as well as decreasing bloating.
The good news is that you don’t need to pay a hefty high-end spa price in order to get the benefits of dry skin brushing. For those who are DIY motivated, dry skin brushing can be performed in the privacy of your own home, is effective, very easy to learn (only takes minutes to perform) and very affordable. You can purchase an all-natural dry body brush online or at most health food stores. That’s all you need to see results — except for the willingness and determination to perform dry skin brushing every day.
Directions for Daily Dry Skin Brushing
Always brush towards your heart. Make long sweeps up toward the heart. Avoid improper brushing techniques of back and forth or scrubbing and circular motions. Begin with your feet, then up the legs on both sides, then work from the arms toward your chest. Direct the brush counterclockwise for the stomach area. Don’t make the mistake of brushing too hard as your skin should be stimulated and invigorated, but not irritated or red.
- Brush skin when dry. Preferably in the morning before shower.
- Use natural vegetable-derived bristle brush.
- Brush in direction of heart.
- Follow with warm shower.
- Never brush broken skin.
- Do not brush before bed as it may interrupt sleep.
Health Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing
- stimulates all organs of detoxification
- removes cellulite
- cleanses the lymphatic system
- removes dead skin layers
- strengthens immune system
- stimulates hormone & oil-producing glands
- tones muscles
- stimulates circulation
- improves nervous system
- helps digestion
- helps to tighten skin
- reduces need for body lotion
- easy & inexpensive
- removes excess fluid from body
- known as an effective lymphatic drainage technique
- eliminates clogged skin pores
- helps with even distribution of fat deposits
- keeps skin soft, smooth & younger looking